*Note: Nutrition chart is included at the end of the recipe!
Anemia is a serious problem among women and children in India. The statistics are quite shocking indeed! According to the Global Nutrition Report-2016, India stands way too low on the list of nations dealing iron deficiency (anemia)? It is 170th among 180 countries ranked for anemia among women, 114th among 132 for chronic malnutrition in children under five and 120th among 130 for acute malnutrition in children under five!
My recipe for today is made out of items that are easily available in every household. 3 key ingredients; Eggs, Spinach and Whole wheat bread.
My love for spinach started when I first watched “Popeye: The Sailor man” cartoon. The way Popeye used to gain instant energy after having spinach somehow encouraged me to eat lots of spinach and eventually I developed a love for this leafy vegetable. Not that I forget the fact that my mom’s hand does magic when she cooks, but it was Popeye who had an influence on me!
Well! That being said, let me also mention that all the three ingredients used in this recipe are rich in Iron! It is also a filling breakfast with a calorie intake being below 300 Kcal! I separated Egg whites and yolks in this recipe and opted a different way than the traditional way of making scrambled eggs. The reason behind it is that I find routine boring and try to change at least the look of my dish if not the ingredients. You can go ahead and use egg as a whole to make the scramble in the traditional way!
I first had an ‘Egg white scramble with spinach‘ in a meal served on a flight. I loved it and tried it out myself at home and since then I occasionally make this dish just to add a twist and color to my breakfast! Healthy and tasty is always welcome isn’t it?
Without any further delay, let me share this healthy recipe with you, which is very quick and easy to make!
SPINACH AND EGG-WHITE SCRAMBLE
- Spinach (Finely Chopped) – 1 cup
- Eggs (Medium Sized) – 2 no’s
- Whole Wheat Bread – 1 Slice
- Olive Oil – 2 Teaspoon’s
- Salt – As per taste
- Black Pepper – As per taste
Serving 1 | Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Heat a pan and dry roast 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add 1 cup of chopped spinach into it and cook it on medium high flame for 5 minutes. Spinach doesn’t take a lot of time to cook so it should not take more than 5min! The raw spell fades away and that’s when you know it is done. Transfer it into a bowl and set it aside. Also toast a slice of bread in the same pan and set it aside along with the spinach.
- Lower the flame and add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil into the pan. Separate egg yolk from each of the eggs (set egg whites aside) and add the yolks one by one carefully into the pan. Make sure that the round shape of the yolk is not disturbed while you do it! Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste on top and let it cook for a 1 minute or so until the top side of the yolk turns into pale yellow color. That is when you can take it out of the pan (Need not cook on both sides). Set them aside.
- As the pan is already hot and egg-whites get cooked very quickly, turn off the flame and add the tossed spinach, egg whites and a dash of black pepper into the pan and gently mix them together. You need not add more salt as spinach releases a lot of sodium. Adding salt to your dish now makes it very salty. So avoid adding salt. When Whites start to set, quickly remove from the stove top and transfer the scramble into a serving plate.
- Viola! Spinach and Egg-White Scramble is ready! Serve it with shallow fried egg yolks on top and a slice of toasted whole wheat bread on the side!
- This recipe yields 1 serving. Also, it is quite filling (calorie intake being just 273 Kcal) and you are sorted until lunch!
It would be a great way to include iron rich foods like Spinach, Eggs and Whole Wheat Bread in your breakfast without compromising on TASTE.
I hope you loved the recipe! If so, then do share this recipe. Also, give it a try and let me know your thoughts by dropping a comment below.